As someone who loves to read and study ahead for a class, here is the general outline with resources, of the Scrivener classes in AltspaceVR and Discord.
In truth, you do not need a book for this course or for Scrivener as its Interactive Tutorial and help manual are excellent resources, and a quick search on the web will find you most of the help and inspiration you need. However, if you are a book lover and feel one is necessary, here are my recommendations.
- Your Guide to Scrivener: The Ultimate Tool for Writers
- Writing a Novel with Scrivener by David Hewson
- An Everyday Guide to Scrivener 3 for Mac (Empowering Productivity) by Mary Crawford
- Scrivener Superpowers: How to Use Cutting-Edge Software to Energize Your Creative Writing Practice by M.G. Herron
Class One: Introduction, Structure, and Organization
Class one we explored example uses, structure, and organization of Scrivener content, as well as some of the features and tools.
- What is Scrivener?
- Scrivener Vocabulary – 52 Weeks of Scrivener – April Dávila
- First Steps:
- Organization and Structure:
Class Two: Organization, Inspector, Meta-Data, Backups, and Import
Class two, we explore more about navigation and organization and backups, then open up the Inspector and go exploring. We will also work on importing documents.
Have ready a COPY of one or two documents, anything you want but NOT the original. It needs to be a Word, WordPerfect, or other word processor document or one created in a text editor that has search and replace capabilities.
We’ll play around a little more with organizing the Binder as well as working with the Corkboard and Outline Scrivener views and how to customize them to your needs.
As we work on the Inspector, we will explore all its features including:
- Labels and Status
- Document Notes
- Document References
We may touch lightly on the things listed below, diving deeply into some areas, brushing others. The articles below will help you explore the vast customization and features available in Scrivener beyond the scope of the class.
This class will be all in Discord.
- Organization and Structure:
- How to Organize Novel Scenes in Scrivener – GreyZone Pages
- Scrivener’s Forgotten View: The Outline – Writers In The Storm
- How To Use Collections – Literature and Latte
- Using Scrivener collections and Project Search to populate your series bible – Gwen Hernandez
- Collections – Simply Scrivener
- Creating Collections in Scrivener 3
- Scrivener + Story Grid Part 3: Collections and Keywords – Randy Surles – Story Grid Editor
- Features and Tools:
- Importing: Remember, you must have at least two documents in a word processor with search and replace features:
Class Three: Inspector, Research, Revisions, Templates, Project Templates, and Compile Intro
We will start in AltspaceVR for a demo of Project Templates and the Compile feature, then heading to Discord for some hands-on work if we stay on schedule. We have many things to cover in this class, so be ready.
We will go deeper into the powerful search features and the Inspector, exploring more about how to set up custom-meta data, snapshots and revisions, footnotes, comments, and other goodness. We’ll explore how to handle research material imported into Scrivener, and begin the process of learning more about printing, exporting, and using the highly customizable Compile features.
- Example Uses:
- Using Scrivener for Poetry
- Using Scrivener to Organize Your Poetry – by Terri Simon – Building Poetry – Medium
- Playwriting with Scrivener – ScrivenerVirgin
- Anthologies in Scrivener – Matt Gemmell
- How to Use Scrivener for Worldbuilding – Writing on the Wallpaper
- Writing a series in Scrivener – Gwen Hernandez
- Storyboarding with Scrivener (or, A Love Affair with Virtual Index Cards)
- Dissertating with Scrivener – The Junto
- Scrivener for Scientific Writing (includes Zotero) — setup – by Andrzej Wodecki – Medium
- Managing Scientific Paper Revisions in Scrivener – Daniel Vreeman
- Keeping Track of Everything in Scrivener with Metadata
- The Scrivener Inspector: Notes – 52 Weeks of Scrivener – April Dávila
- Scrivener Tutorial Part 4: Using the Inspector – Marlena Frank
- The Scrivener Inspector: Bookmarks – 52 Weeks Of Scrivener – April Dávila
- Metadata: Project keywords – ScrivenerVirgin
- Using Meta-Data in Scrivener – 52 Weeks of Scrivener – April Dávila
- Metadata Optimization For Your Book – BookBaby Blog
- Revisions, Footnotes, Endnotes, Annotations, Markdown:
- Revisions in Scrivener – Gwen Hernandez
- Tech Tuesday: Annotations in Scrivener – Gwen Hernandez
- Adding Evernote notes to a Scrivener project – Gwen Hernandez
- 4 Ways to Make Notes in Scrivener
- Footnotes as an Editing Tool – ScrivenerVirgin
- OPTIONAL How to Use Zotero and Scrivener for Research-Driven Writing – JSTOR Daily
- Backups, Snapshots, and Version Control:
- Format, Print, and Compile:
- Project Templates: Be aware that some of the links in these articles may not work as people change servers or don’t update things. I’ve done my best to check most of these and update them. NOTE: I recommend you follow the below links for more information but I am gathering together all the downloaded project templates I’ve found and making them available as a single zip file. I’ll share that in our private Discord Channel.
- A Sneak Peek into How I Set Up My Scrivener for Writing Fiction – Andrew M. Friday
- Jami Gold Scrivener Project Templates:
- Scrivener Project Templates, Story Planning, and Worksheets for Writers – Jami Gold, Paranormal Author
- Beat Sheet Scrivener Templates by Jami Gold, Paranormal Author
- How to Use the “Save the Cat” Beat Sheet for Revisions – Jami Gold, Paranormal Author
- Are Beat Sheets Intimidating? Cut through the Clutter – Jami Gold, Paranormal Author
- Claire O’Brien Art: Writing a Picture Book in Scrivener – Free Scrivener Template
- Scrivenerville – Download Free Scrivener Templates
- MG Herron’s No Nonsense Novel Template for Scrivener
- Audiobook and Print Edition Links – Fool Proof Outline
- A Scrivener Template to Help Structure Plot and Story – by Josh Whitman – Medium
- Scrivener Essay Template – download – The Critical Thinker Academy
- If you find free templates to download not on this list, please share them on our private Discord channel and I’ll add them here.
Class Four: Compile and Show Off Your Scrivener Projects
This is the last class and time to show off your Scrivener Projects.
We will be focusing on the Compile feature, and showcasing your own work. Bring one or more examples of your writing at any stage, whether you are starting off or have organized and structured an existing work. We will be meeting in Discord and taking turns sharing our screens. Remember to share on the second tab that says Screens and choose the appropriate monitor if you have more than one.
- Compile: Be aware that some of these instructions apply to the new Scrivener 3.0 for Mac, and should apply to the new version for Windows.
- Scrivener 3’s New Approach to Compile
- Compiling a DOCX in Scrivener 3
- Tech Tuesday: Compile in Scrivener 2.x – Gwen Hernandez
- Your Scrivener Questions On Compiling Answered – Learn Scrivener Fast
- How To Format a Book When Self-Publishing (including Scrivener) — Well-Storied.
- Using Scrivener for Mac to compile a PDF for print on demand – Gwen Hernandez
Additional Scrivener Resources and Information
This is a list of some additional resources and information on using Scrivener. If you find others, please share them with us on our private Discord channel and I’ll update the list here.
- Scrivener Tutorial Videos by Literature & Latte
- General Information:
- Scrivener For Dummies Cheat Sheet (Mac and Windows)
- 16 Scrivener Tools and Tricks
- Scrivener Quick Tips: A Roundup of Handy Features
- Scrivener Fundamentals: What every Scrivener user should know (but probably doesn’t)
- 9 (or more) Things I Love About Scrivener
- 7 Top Tips for Scrivener – Elaine Giles
- Scrivener. Learning New Tricks Every Day. – Shannon Beau Writer
- How to Use Scrivener to Write Scenes That Work
- Scrivener: Bootcamp
- Mac Version:
- Keyboard Shortcuts & Gestures – iOS – Knowledge Base – Literature and Latte Support
- Mac Preferences keyboard shortcuts vs Scrivener keyboard shortcuts – Literature and Latte
- Scrivener 3 macOS Shortcut Cheatsheet – Literature and Latte
- macOS – FAQs – Literature and Latte Support
- iOS – FAQs – Literature and Latte Support
- The Tricks and Treats of Scrivener for iOS
- Working with projects in Scrivener for iOS (w/videos)
- iPAD Verion:
- Scrivener for NANOWRIMO: